The main area of focus of the [Energy and Fresh Water] group is the utilization of the ocean resources to find alternative technologies for fresh water and renewable energy. Currently the group is working on three specific areas, fresh water production using low temperature thermal desalination (LTTD) process and energy production using two distinctly different processes, Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion and Wave Energy. (From the NIOT Website)
This is a government research institute under the India Ministry of Earth Science and is commonly known as NIOT. They focus on Open Cycle OTEC and LTTD.
- Website: https://www.niot.res.in/niot1/efw_intro.php
- Contact Address: https://www.niot.res.in/niot1/contact.php
Related Projects and Facilities
- Kavaratti Island 100m3/d LTTD Plant
- Open Cycle Turbine Development Project
- NIOT OTEC Desalination Laboratory