Status: In Development
A OTEC-powered desalination plant has been proposed at Kavaratti, with preparatory activities being carried out by NIOT.
A tender for construction, operation, and maintenance has been issued with an extended submission deadline due to the Corona Virus Pandemic.
Establishment of an OTEC powered desalination plant of 100 m3/day capacity at Kavaratti in U.T. Lakshadweep
- A detailed EIA report was submitted to LCZMA for clearance and subsequently a meeting with LCZMA was held on 29th Sep 2018.
- The committee recommended simulation to be carried out and hence a simulation was carried out in CORMIX for predicting the dispersion and dilution of discharged cold water.
- Foundation stone for OTEC powered desalination plant was laid by Hon’ble minister for MoES Dr. Harsh Vardhan at Kavaratti on 22nd Oct 2018.
- Administrative order has now been issued.
Detailed engineering and drawing preparation for different plant components, tendering & procurement process.
- NIOT 2017-2018 Annual Report: https://www.niot.res.in/documents/admin_annual_report/Annual_report-2017-18.pdf
- NIOT Website: https://www.niot.res.in/niot1/efw_activities.php